Band Skill Gives Harvard Rooters Weekend Victory

Harvard lost a football game but won the battle of the bands Saturday, leaving the musicians still undefeated in three years of competition.

It wasn't just sheer weight of numbers that did it, either. Marching about 125 pieces--less than half the number fielded a week ago for the anniversary--the band exhibited its customary proficiency in concert formation.

Anything the Dartmouths did, the Harvard band did better. The visitors marched onto Soldiers Field before the game started, spelling out the first names of the Indian coach, Tuss McLaughry, and the team captain, Herb Carey. So the Harvard band walked on and spelled out the names of both Art Valpey and the Indian mentor.

Drinks

In its half-time formation the Dartmouth band formed a beer mug, and then emptied it. The Crimson promptly raised the problem of liquor consumption to a more sophisticated level by popping the cork from a huge bottle of champagne and pouring the sparkling liquid into an awaiting cup. They finished off the whole affair with an ultra-polite "Hic."

Half-time found the Dartmouth cheering stands being serenaded by the Crimson band. It had been announced previously that the visiting stands would get the cold shoulder from the musical organization. They got the serenade, all right, but the big bass drum was left behind. The Harvards were playing it safe.