Eleven Has Stiff Workout; West Runs on First-String

Heavy scrimmage was the order of the day on Soldiers Field yesterday, as the varsity football squad worked out for almost two hours in a double scrimmage against freshman and jayvee opposition. The offensive team ran bruising contact against the freshmen, while the defense practiced against a jayvee "Holy Cross" formation attack.

After an hour the two units switched off jobs, with the defensive team taking over the live scrimmage. The squad wound up with a session in the cage, with Valpey lecturing on scouting reports.

John West replaced Paul Shafer as offensive fullback, running with Bill Henry and Hal Moffie. Cal Lowenstein and Chuck Roche alternated at tallback. In the line, converted end Al Wilson switched with Duke Sedgwick at right tackle, but the rest of the offensive line was almost back at full strength, with both Howie Houston and John Coan running.

Wilson appeared again in the defensive line, this time at left tackle, between Don Cass and Chief Bender. Art Connelly, Will Davis, and Dike Hyde filled out the right side of the line, with Phil Isenberg and John West backing up. Charlie Walsh and Shafer alternated at defensive halfback with Carl Bottenfield and Phil Bolster, with Walsh dropping back to fullback to spell Roche.