Fast, Polished Cornell Team Will Face Crimson In Homecoming Game; Houston Will Be Starter

Harvard's Injuries Fewer but Ithacans Are Heavy Favorites

By Bayard Hooper

Only the incurable optimists in the crowd will be looking for a Harvard victory today, but everybody can expect some mighty fine football when the home season opens at 2 p.m. this afternoon. Cornell, a team which is rated first in the East and among the top ten in the nation, will provide the opposition, and if speed, depth, and coordination mean anything it could make a messy homecoming for the Crimson.

The Big Red, Ivy League Champions last year, appeared in Cambridge yesterday afternoon with a squad three deep in every position. So much material do the visitors boast, in fact, that for home games Coach Lefty James can field three complete offensive and defensive platoons, all of them good. Even an injury list as extensive as Harvard's has left Cornell's power virtually unimpaired.

Manpower Unlimited

Only 42 men made the trip here for today's game, but that roster includes a starting backfield of Pete Dorset, Hillary Chollet, Moose Miller, and Jeff Fleischmann. Those who witnessed last year's

Probable Lineups: CORNELL  HARVARD Cassell  LE  Hyde Clark  LT  Davis Ellis  LG  Houston Pierik  C  O'Brien Jaso  RG  Coan Jensen  RT  Sedgwick Schuh  RE  Mazzone Dorset  QB  Henry Chollet  LH  Roche Miller  RH  White Fleischmann  FB  Shafer   Kickoff-2 p.m.

40 to 6 rout of the Crimson will testify that this foursome is one of the speediest and most efficient T-formation combinations in the country. Fliesehmann, who was injured early in September, was alternate with Hal Seidenberg, a bullish sophomore.

Crimson rooters can gain slight consolation from the Big Red's star-studded injury list. Captain Paul Girolamo separated his shoulder in the opening win over Niagara, and ground-gainer Frank Bradico is sidelined. Reserve backs Rocco Calvo and Stuart Mertz are also out of action. In the line, first string ends Walt Bruska and Harry Cassel will almost definitely not play, while offensive tackle Dick Ramin is benched with as injured knee.

The Crimson's voluminous injury list showed signs of shrinkage at yesterday's practice as Captain Howie Houston ran through signals at his regular guard position. Duke Sedgwick will start the game in Chief Bender's place, but the latter may see some service during the long afternoon. John Coan, who suffered extensive damage at the hands of Columbia, is back in serviceable condition, but Sam Butler is still limping as a result of last week.

Fred Ravreby will replace Stretch Mazzone at left end, and Chuck Roche has taken over Jimmy Noonan's job at tailback, but otherwise the starting lineup remains the same as in the Lion game