Varsity Drills Heavily in Second Day Practice

Valpey Gets Scouting Reports on Princeton Single Wing; Guidera Back After 4 Weeks

The Varsity got heavy work yesterday in its second day of preparation for Princeton. Offensive and defensive scrimmage, a 20-minute session on the dummies, and half an hour's blackboard drill comprised the schedule.

Art Valpey, after 24 hours spent dissecting his scouting reports, was able to offer some interesting comments on Princeton's offenses. The Tigers operate from a straight single wing--the only Harvard opponent to do so--and have an attack keyed primarily to a flashy sophomore tailback, Dick Kazmaier.

Fullback as Flanker

With no shift, such as the Harvard T-to-single-wing, Princeton depends on its fullback and wingback for flanker work, with an occasional split end or doubling of the ends on one side of the line. Such a setup allows coach Charley Caldwell to throw as many as three men--and sometimes even four--into the same zone. This utilizes the strong arm of young Mr. Kazmaier to the full.

When the fullback doesn't go in motion, he provides the plunging power, either straight or after a fakeoff. John Powers and Jack Davison have been splitting the work, according to scout Bill Barclay's information. The quarterback does not carry the ball much except as a receiver on pass plays.

Guildera May Be Ready

On the local level, this week finds the varsity continuing to improve its physical condition. Dick Guidera, out for nearly a month, got his first contact work yesterday--a few plays in the defensive scrimmage.

Yesterday the freshmen served as a defensive unit against which two varsity teams ran offensives for nearly an hour. Simultaneously, the Jayvees were working Princeton plays against defensive units.