Central Square, Local Merchants Battle for Trade

Both Harvard and Central Square shopping districts are heeding Horace Greeley's advice "Go West" in a current campaign for new retail markets.

The Harvard Square Merchants Association is campaigning to draw residents from Lexington, Lincoln, Arlington, and other suburban towns into its shopping orbit, while Central Square is advertising that Harvard citizens can get what they want at Central Square--better and cheaper.

Bob Slate, president of the Harvard Merchants Association, said last night his organization is at present sending circulars to suburbs advising them of the goods available in what the pamphlets describe as the "heart of Cambridge."

Central Square retailers have, meanwhile, stepped up advertising in local newspapers and are conducting a poll to find out why shoppers buy at their stores.

In the competition of the Squares for surrounding themselves with Christmas decorations, the Harvard area merchants have already lost out.

The HMA failed to meet a deadline on submitting plans for Christmas adornments to the City Manager's office, and therefore will not get the money appropriation Cambridge usually provides for such purposes. Harvard Square will have a meager array of evergreens while Central Square will have an extravaganza.