Edward Crane Will be Mayor Of Cambridge

Four Cambridge City Councillors-elect have assured Edward A. Crane '35 of election as mayor by pledging him their support in the January mayoralty contest, it was revealed yesterday. Cambridge's mayor is chosen by the City Council from among; its nine members.

The votes were pledged at a secret caucus of the Cambridge Civic Association candidates--Crane was elected on the CCA ticket--who were successful in the recent Council election.

Since Cambridge's mayor automatically acts as chairman of all city committees, Crane's victory is a considerable success for the CCA. His position as mayor will break a deadlock on the Cambridge School Committee, whose six-man membership had been split evenly between CCA endorsed candidates and independents.

It was unofficially reported that Crane received the mayoralty for two reasons: 1) He had polled the most votes, 4,405, in the Council election. 2) He gave up his strong bid for the mayoralty in 1947 to break a deadlock in the Council that had lasted for some 1250 ballots and two and a half months.

Meanwhile a final official count of the School Committee election results on Monday showed that CCA-backed Robert Amory, Jr. '35, professor of Law, had lost first place in the vote to James J. Cassidy, an Independent. Others elected to the School Committee were: Pearl K. Wise, CCA; Thomas H. D. Mahoney, CCA; James F. Fitzgerald, Independent; and Francis J. McCrehan, Independent.

Amory, commenting on the CCA's good fortune in choosing Crane, said he and his colleagues had definite plans for Cambridge's schools.