Two New Organizations Question NROTC Oath

Liberal Union, AVC Investigate Pledge; Council Schedules Discussion on Monday Night

The Liberal Union and the local chapter of the American Veteran's Committee last night joined the Young Progressives in investigations of the NROTC loyalty oath.

The pledge required of all Naval Science students at Harvard was first questioned two weeks ago by the Young Progressives who have organized an unofficial committee of college groups to investigate the loyalty checks.

Donald W. Dowd '51, president of the Liberal Union, stated last night that the Liberal Union will definitely call for Student Council action on the pledge when the Council meets on Monday. However, if the Council decides not to take action, "the Liberal Union stands ready to lead a movement which would requrest a formal objection to the Navy department by the University," Dowd announced.

University Responsible

"The problem we are concerned with," Dowd stated, "is the degree of responsibility the University has to the students, not just the moral principles involved in a pledge. Because the pledge may involve the entire student body, it is an 'apolitical' problem, and therefore should be handled by the Council, rather than the Union, YP, or any other college group."

"However, I will not let it get lost in the discussion stage," Dowd declared, and although the HLU investigation was not yet complete, he felt certain that some action would be necessary.

Edward F. Burke '50, president of the Council, said that the Council is now investigating the matter and that the problem will come up for discussion at the regular Monday meeting.