Feeney Protests Present State of Society of Jesus

Father Leonard Feeney, in his first speech since his dismissal from the Society of Jesus last week, spoke on the current state of the Jesuits at St. Benedict's Center last night.

He said that Jesuits today are trying to keep away from the Old Testament because they are ashamed of it; they believe in Professor Hooton's version of creation instead of Moses'.

"They are afraid of my questions today," he said. "They are cowards and traitors to St. Ignatius." He maintained that he had never tried to do anything that St. Ignatius would not want. He said that many had come to him and told him that they do not learn religion at Jesuit colleges.

"I know that this is my cause, and I'm going to stand here till hell freezes over," he declared. He reaffirmed his belief that salvation is impossible outside the Catholic Church and that the purpose of our life on earth is to secure salvation and said that would continue to teach this at St. Benedict's.

He denounced the practice of Jesuits studying things that are not related to religion: "I think everyone knows there is something wrong with a priest who does not teach theology."