Tiger Attack Shows Shifts And Cunning

Here are Princeton's four favorite formations. In picture one, the basic setup--a straight single wing. The peculiarity lies in the fact that the guards run outside the tackles, or in just the opposite position from Harvard's line alignments. When the Tigers go into left formation, the whole pattern is flopped over, with each man in the same position exactly reversed.

Panel two shows the basic ground play with wingback George Sella (99) reversing to take the ball from fullback Davison (34) on a run around left end.

The Passer: Kazmaler

The diversity of the Princeton passing attack comes not only from the throwing skill of Dick Kazmaier (42), but also from the formation shown in panel three. Sella, from his wingback position, can be set to the right as a flanker: fullback Davison can be sent in motion to the left or right, saturating one or the other side of the field with receivers.

Once in a while they try the formation in panel four. With the left end over beyond the right end, there are four possible receivers to the right (black arrows) and the defensive alignments are confused. Although the right end is ineligible in such a formation, the left guard (light arrow) could catch a pass.

And every so often, they send the fullback up behind the left end and they have a double wing. That's just for the alumni.