Booters Upset Princeton, Win, 1-0, in Overtime

Tigers Control Contest But Drehmel Score Wins for Crimson

By Douglas M. Fouguet

The football team didn't manufacture an upset yesterday, but the soccer team did. With a goal in the opening minute of the second overtime period, the Crimson booters sneaked out a 1 to 0 win over league leading Princeton yesterday on the Business School Field.

For four 22-minute quarters and one five-minute overtime period, both Crimson and Nassau passed the ball around beautifully, but neither could score. Then, at 0.33 of the second and final overtime period, center forward Vern Drehmel charged in to score the big Harvard goal. The ball had bounced off inside right Jon Spivak's chest after Bill Harrop had tried a free kick.

Captain Whoop Batchelder played a fine game at goal for Harvard, coming up with three or four saves of the 'impossible' variety. But just the same, Whoop wasn't overworked, for both the fullback and halfback lines were functioning well all the way.

The Tigers earned the impractical distinction of outplaying the varsity most of the way. Usually a run-and-kick squad, Princeton featured a good passing game in every period except the third, when the Crimson held control. At all other times, however, Princeton was taking most of the shots, several of them just missing the goal.

In the Harvard center forward position, Coach Bruce Munro tired a new plan, alternating Jim Bell and Drehmel. The project met with some degree of success, for Drehmel's feeding style was a sharp--and confusing--contract to Bell's crashing, pounding style.

Neither team suffered any injury in the game. As it turned out, Harvard was at full strength, for outside left Ted Wolf was little disturbed by his previously injured thigh and played much of the game.