Basketball Team Wins; Sextet Bows to Brown

Suffers First Loss, 7-6, in League Opener; Bruins Triumph in Overtime Session

By Douglas M. Fouquet

PROVIDENCE, Dec. 18--Harvard almost won that big Ivy League victory here tonight, but unfortunately for Coach John Chase's skaters, history repeated itself. At 4:45 of a violent sudden-death overtime period, Warren Priestley scored the winning goal for Brown that whipped the previously-undefeated Crimson, 7 to 6.

For a while it looked as if Harvard would win, for although the Bruins started fast, they faded in the second period. The Crimson led, 5 to 3, midway in the third period, but Brown tied it, 5 to 5, and later, 6 to 6, to force the overtime.

Priestley is the man who scored another overtime goal almost exactly a year ago to beat Harvard, 6 to 5, in the Arena.

Bruin Star Takes Sick

Last night's game was excellently played by both sides all the way. Brown played as a fast, hard-shooting team, even without the help of its star Canadian center Johnny Casey, who landed in the infirmary at 5 p.m. this afternoon with a bad case of grippe. For the Crimson's part, the forwards passed and skated beautifully, and John Chase played a superb goalie's game, in spite of the seven goals he couldn't stop.

Lew Preston, playing tonight despite the pulled left leg muscle he suffered last night against Tufts, aggravated the injury when he was checked early in the second period. Doctors, however, expect he'll be ready for BC next Tuesday.

Play by Play

Brown scored two goals in the first period and kept the puck inside the Harvard blue line most of the time. Captain Myles Huntington, however, struck for the Crimson at 13:38 when he charged in on goalie Don Whiston from center ice.

In the middle period, Harvard took over the game, scoring three goals. The first was defenseman Dusty Burke's first varsity goal, a long shot at 5:23, and the other, by Huntington, came when Whiston came out of the nets once too often.

Brown finally caught the Crimson, 5 to 5, at 14:41 of the final period and 6 to 6, at 16:08. The two Crimson goals this period belonged to Carl Timpson, on a pass at 13:03, and to Doug Anderson, unassisted at 15:40.