Boston College Defeats Sextet, 8-5

Weak Defense Play Puls Crimson Behind 6-1, Early in Contest

By Donald Carswell

Boston College may not have had Butch, Songin playing defense last night, but it showed it still is just about the best college hockey team around, by whipping Harvard at the Arena, 8 to 5.

The Eagles jumped on the Crimson scored defense the first time that due took the ice, scored three goals in less than three minutes, and that was the game. The score at the end of the first period was 3 to 1, and at the end of the second, 6 to 1.

Boston College had a better first line and a better all-around defense, which is primarily why they won. The Eagle first line of Lewis, McIntire, and Sullivan scored four of the eight BC goals, and the defense played back behind their blue line without ever getting in the goalie's way.

Defense in Lap

Crimson goalie Johnny Chase, however, didn't have it so good. For most of the first two periods he had his defense in his lap, obliterating his view, and none of the goals scored resulted from a lapse by Chase.

In the final period the defense suddenly began to play hockey, and as a result Harvard outplayed BC, 3 to 2. In addition, the passing of the forward lines showed a brilliant improvement in the final 20 minutes and seemed to indicate that next time Harvard plays BC, Songin or no Songin, the Crimson will do somewhat better.

The second line scored all five Harvard goals. Bill Garrity and Lew Preston, its two wings, were the individual stars of the game.

Garrity scored three goals--all in the final period--and two of them were unassisted. Joe Kittredge, the center, made the other two. Preston played an excellent offensive and defensive game, a performance made all the more incredible by the fact that he was skating on only one leg, because of a knee injury aggravated in the second period.

There were some 25 minutes of penalties called during the contest, but referee Cleary did a creditable job in keeping the game out of the "barroom brawl" category.

Goals--First Period, Lewis (McIntire), 6:15; McCusker (McIntire), 6:45; Kittredge (unassisted), 6:53; Harrington (Mulhern, Ceglarski), 7:52. Second Period, McIntire (Lewis, Sullivan), 0:06; McIntire (Lewis, Sullivan), 1:19; Mulhern (Harrington), 2:59. Third Period, Sullivan (McIntire), 0:39; Kittredge (unassisted), 2:27; Garrity (unassisted), 8:48; Garrity (Kittredge), 9:09; Mulhern (Harrington), 19:14; Garrity (unassisted), 19:56.

Saves--Chase (H), 29; Maggio (BC), 26.