Ex-Congressman Replies

THE MAIL

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

I am much obliged to you for publishing my letter to Col. Wm. J. Bingham, and I have nothing to add or detract from it except to emphasize that there were 34 "H" men available from the 1948 team that defeated Yale and that our material this year was far better than the average. Our 1949 team outweighed every team it played against, including Army.

I am impelled to write to you as three lines of my letter were garbled and unreadable as published in the CRIMSON--to wit: "but produced the most ineptly coached team--offensively, defensively, and in forward passing in the history of Harvard football."

It sums up my entire contention that a new coach is advisable, if not essential, for Harvard football success. In fairness to Percy Haughton's teams, they also played such strong elevens as Army, Navy, Cornell, Carlisle Indians, Brown and Dartmouth. I would like to add to my list of former Harvard players as possible coaches, Chief Boston.

I agree that our schedule is now too severe, but that is no reason to lose all six Ivy League games, and to win from Holy Cross (by a close score) which was defeated by Boston College, 76-0, and which in turn was beaten by Oklahoma 46-0.

This is a free country, and Harvard men believe in academic freedom. If Harvard undergraduates and football players, past and present, want to retain Valpey as head coach, that's all there is to it, but let's have an open and free discussion of a difficult and vexatious problem before it is too late.

If a former Harvard player who has seen every Harvard-Yale game since 1905, with one exception, may not speak out openly on the record of the 1949 football team, who in Hades can? Hamilton Fish '10