Varsity Hockey Team Trips B.U., 10-8, in Arena Brawl

By Donald Carswell

The varsity hockey team decisively downed Boston University, 10 to 8, last night before 5000 screaming fans-some screaming for the referee's scalp, others for one more goal, and the rest for more blood on the ice.

It was a needlessly brutal game.

A combination of rotten officiating and B.U. over eagerness to win was the difference between hard, clean hockey and the Hogan's Alley style on display in the second and third periods at the Arena.

The two referees, whose names were not on the program due to a fortunate oversight on the part of the Arena management, called some 59 minutes of penalties on the two teams. Some of their calls were bistantly wrong, such as the center zone check called on Al Key in the second period, and others were questionable. Worst of all, they let the game get out of control midway in the second period. Either from dullness or myopia, they missed penalties, and the players, thus encouraged in their illegal methods, proceeded to reduce the game to a slugging match.

In so far as pointless assault and battery was concerned, B.U. was by far the major offender. Flagrant violations of the rules caused Jack Carman and Al Key to lose teeth, the former from a vicious (and illegal) crosscheck and the latter in a scullion in which the puck was not even involved. As a result of their tactics, B.U. was able to reduce the varsity's six goal lead to but two scores in the final thirty minutes of the game.

The game marked the return of Lew Preston to Harvard hockey teams after an absence of a year and a half. Preston was tremendous both on offense and defense, and collected five points on two goals and three assists.

Equally brilliant was Captain Dave Key, who also got five points and played his finest game of the season.

The passing of the first and second lines, in those parts of the game which were played under the Marquis of Queensbury rules, was superb, and had the game continued according to its early promise, it might well have proved a rout. In the first thirty minutes, the Crimson was well co-ordinated, fast, and elusive, and it completely outplayed B.U.

Ref Gets His

The only injury which was received by all present with something akin to glee was suffered by one of the referees. He was struck on the cranium by a passing beercan and was forced to leave the ice for medical treatment of a gash on his baldspot.

Four Harvard players were injured and one spectator was arrested at the fracas. Jack Carman received the most serious injuries. He suffered a possible concussion in addition to a deep gash on his lip and was taken to Stillman Infirmary.

The Harvard scoring: First period-Preston (D. Key) 0:11; D. Key 0:50; Garrity (Preston) 4:23; A. Key (Minot, Kittredge) 11:15. Second period-Huntington (Greeley) 2:37; D. Key (Preston) 11:32; Preston (D. Key) 12:04; Kittredge (Minot, Coulter) 19:38. Third period-Garrity (D. Key, Preston) 0:58; Huntington (Abbot) 2:19.

1  2  3-tHarvard  4  4  2-10B. U.  0  3  5-