School of Engineering May Merge With GSAS

Corporation Must Approve Plan To Coordinate Facilities of Grad Engineering Branches

The Graduate School of Engineering will case to exist as a separate division of the University if the Corporation passes an already written resolution at its full board meeting early in March.

The proposal, pending for some time, would merge the administration and facilities of the Graduate School of Engineering with the engineering department of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Such a merger would prevent what has come to be considered unnecessary competition between the two branches which are serving essentially the same function under separate administrations.

No Plans Yet

Emory Leon Chaffee '11, Rumford Professor of Physics and newly appointed chairman of the department of Engineering in the Arts and Sciences Faculty, stated yesterday that no details could be revealed until the corporation had decided on the proposal. He did not explain how any merger would affect the graduate student in engineering. Presumably the only difference would be that all graduate students in engineering would receive either M.A. or Ph.D. degrees rather than the B.S. or MS. degrees now offered by the Graduate School of Engineering.

The Graduate School of Engineering was established as such in 1906 as successor to the Lawrence Scientific School. In 1915, 1916, and 1917, joint instruction in engineering was offered between the graduate school and MIT.