Cadets Nose Out Swimmers In Tense, Close 41-34 Meet

Foe Fox wasn't even speaking to himself after the varsity swimmer's heart yarding 41 to 34 loss to Army Saturday after before the largest crowd of the last in the Indoor Athletic Building. As anchor man in the 400 yard freestyle, Fox churned out the fastest 100 yards in his life, 52.0 seconds, only to such two tenths of a second behind Fary's great Jim Smyly. By winning of event, Smyly untied the meet for second, and clinched second place in the Eastern Intercollegiate League for the badets, Yale has already drubbed Army, 10 to 15.

The Crimson team travels down to Philadelphia tomorrow as a heavy favorer to defeat the University of Pennsylvania.

Every event was crucial Saturday, but Fox was without a doubt the here of the evening, as he won the 50 yard freestyle, came in second to Jim Smyly in the 100, and brought the screaming audience to its feet in the last seconds of the meet.

After Army opened the session by breaking its own record to win the 300 yard medley relay in 3:01.9, Bob Berko easily outswam Cadet distance champion Jack Craigle in the 220 yard freestyle.

Three Untouchables

Brilliant acrobatics gave Dan Rogers an unchallenged triumph for the West Pointers in the dive, as Win Briggs nipped Army's Frank Howard by three tenths of a point to take second place and leave the Cadets six points ahead at the approximate half-way mark.

After Smyly's win in the 100 yard freestyle, Army captain Ed Townsley outdistanced Tom Woods and John Steinhart of the Crimson in the 150 yard backstroke to raise the margin to eight.

Nobody came close to Chuck Hooizer in the 200 yard breaststroke, but it took a thrilling last minute sprint for Larry Ward to give Harvard its only sweep of the evening and reduce the Crimson deficit to a single point. In the next race Ted Norris tied the meet up at 34 to 34 by finishing exactly 30 yards ahead of the field in the 440 yard freestyle.

Earlier in the evening, the freshman swimming team trounced St. George's School, 45 to 30.