Swimmers Battle Princeton In EIL Encounter Tonight

By Gene R. Kearney

Occasionally a sports event satisfies and soothes every whim and pore of the true sports enthusiast. Tonight's varsity swimming meet at Princeton--an unpredictable battle between two equally dangerous teams should gratify even the most dichard of the sports purists. In a word, it promises to be close.

Neither Hal Ulen nor Tiger coach Howie Stepp will pay much about the contest. Both need a win tonight, as upper-bracket standing in the Eastern Intercollegiate League is at stake. Princeton will have the benefit of being at home in its spanking new Dillon pool--the most ultra-modern dixiecup in the east. The Crimson, on the other hand, has a somewhat better record this season and possibly the edge in material.

The probable varsity lineup is almost the same as for the Penn meet, with Larry Woods, Chuck Hoelzer, and Bill MacVicar in the 300-yard medley relay; Bob Berke and Captain Jerry Gorman in the 220-freestyle; Joe Fox and Shep Brown slated for the 50-yard freestyle; Gordon Weir and Win Briggs doing the springboard acrobatics.

Fox and Berke are teamed in the 100-yard freestyle. Woods and John Steinhardt will fight out the 150-yard backstroke, while Hoelzer and Ward will manage the 200-yard breast stroke. Ted Norris, undefeated this season in the 440-yard freestyle, will try again, backed by Captain German, Fox, Brown, MacVicar, and Berke will round off the meet--and possibly decide it-- in the 400-yard freestyle relay.

So far this season, Princeton has won six and lost two. Its team won a 68 to 7 decision over Lafayette two weeks ago.

The freshmen face Exeter in New Hampshire tomorrow afternoon.