Plan E 'Propaganda'

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

At a recent meeting of Government 155b Associate Professor Cherington announced to the members of the course the name, address, and phone number of the chairman of the local chapter of Plan E for Boston League, known to some as the Beat-Curley-By-All-and-Any-Means-Cofraternity. He urged them to communicate with her for voluntary work in furtherance of the Great Cause. Plan E is not desired on its merits but as a means of getting rid of Curley. A few sarcastic remarks from the high throne of academic superiority disposed of Mr. Curley, and the rest of the hour was devoted to the business of the course, government regulation of industry.

(1.) I do not believe that an instructor should use course time to propagandize for any political group (2.) I believe it an academic abuse of the first magnitude to make disparaging references to a local public official and to recommend the programme of a political group without affording opportunity for those who disagree with such a reference and the programme recommended to retort immediately before the audience to which the reference was made and the program recommended. Any student who demanded the right to harangue the group would, of course, been out of order. (3.) The retort which would have sufficed, had a order. (3.) The retort which would have sufficed, had a retort been in order, is the way to dispose of Mr. Curley which is in closest accord with the tenets that the do-gooders generally profess is not to substitute a different organizational form for the government of Boston but to lick Mr. Curley in an election by offering a candidate and program which the voters of Boston would prefer to Mr. Curley, who, it may be noted, has done a great deal for Boston as well as for MT. Curley. This is a fact of which the voters seem to be aware, though the apostles, of the gospel of civic virtue have apparently not found it spelled out in their textbooks. (Name Withheld by request)