Brinton Discusses Churchill Aims at UN Council Lecture

"Winston Churchill is striving to put Great Britain into its former position as a balance of power," said C. Crane Brinton '19, McLean Professor of Ancient and Modern History, in a lecture in Littauer Auditorium sponsored by the United Nations Council last night.

Brinton's speech was one of the current series entitled, "The Atlantic Community--A Going Concern?"

Brinton claimed that Churchill is attempting to utilize the fear of Russia in order to create a western European "super state" which Britain would dominate. The new state would then act as the balance between the United States and Russia.

Viewing the necessary common bases for a North Atlantic community, Brinton emphasized the necessity of outside pressure in order to start any alliance or federation of sovereign states. He claimed that the fear of Germany and Japan was instrumental in forming the United Nations and that fear of Russia may cause an all-powerful third state in Europe.

Culture Aspects Discussed

Considering the cultural aspects of the Atlantic community, Brinton stated that it need not have a common language it need not have a common language or religion. "The nations must, however, have certain things in common in order to make the community more than a mere political alliance."

Besides common fear these qualities consist of a "common educational heritage a common reaction to law enforcement, and a common basis of political and economic systems."