Winthrop Wins House Boxing Title

Dunster and Kirkland Place Second, Third; Hollis Tops in Yard

Winthrop boxers annexed the House championship last night at the Block-house by winning its last three bouts of the evening and edging out Dunster, 16 to 14. Hollis won the freshman crown by outpointing Stoughton, 21 to 16.

Each fight was scheduled for three rounds, with the winner getting five points, and the runner-up, three.

Going into the final event, three teams--Winthrop, Dunster, and Kirkland--were tied at 13 points apiece. In the deciding bout, heavyweights Glenn Schultz of Dunster and Jim McNear of Winthrop tore at each other furiously, slugging and pushing each other all over the ring for two rounds before McNear finally out-classed Schultz to take the match that gave the Puritans the title.

Isenberg Wins

In the preceding 175 pound class bout, Phil Isenberg of Winthrop took on Jack Frazer of Dunster House. Knocked down three times, Frazer earned the applause of the crowd when the referee finally forced him to quit in the third round, against his will.

The freshman heavyweight final came to a rapid and stunning halt. Fred Ravreby of Hollis opened by flooring his opponent, Leland Schoen of Stoughton, who in turn just as quickly floored Ravreby. With a grin, Ravreby picked himself up and with one punch concluded the bout, the referee awarding him a TKO.

Charley Weiss of Kirkland House, one of the best boxers of the evening, easily won the 130-pound class title. Al Ruby, also of Kirkland, won his 145-pound title by default.

The Summaries:

New House Boxing Champions--125 lbs, Lichauco, Dunster; 130 lbs., Weiss, Kirkland; 135 lbs., Ruby, Kirkland; 145 lbs., Butler, Dunster; 155 lbs., Baker, Dudley; 165 lbs., Smith, Winthrop; 175 lbs., Isenberg, Winthrop; unlimited, J.G. McNear, Winthrop.

Freshman Boxing Champions--130 lbs., Stevens, Stoughton; 135 lbs., Doherty Stoughton; 145 lbs., Conway, Hollis; 155 lbs., Parks, Hollis; 165 lbs., Boyd, Lionel; 175 lbs., Fitzpatrick, Holworthy; unlimited, Ravreby, Hollis.