Week to Mark New Look in Field of Sport

Wrestlers, Skaters, Swimmers Succumb to Equinox; Crew, Nine Come Out of Moth Balls

Winter sports will melt from the scene this weekend, several days before the vernal equinox makes its official appearance on March 20.

Hockey, basketball, wrestling, and all the other activities of the recent season that have been keeping College sports fans from hibernation take a last whirl in the next few days. Spring athletics, in the incubator stage of late, are getting set to come outdoors.

Down in Briggs Cage, even amongst the panting trackmen, Stuffy McInnis and the baseball squad are flexing and reflexing, reading clippings from Dixie about the spring practices of major league teams. The last snows of March may wet down the first dust on the diamond.

Now that all signs of ice have disappeared from the storied banks of the Charles, rowers of all descriptions are skimming across the waters, and before long, the Harvard crew will make its first official splash, and the voice of the coxswain will be heard in the land.

And as the quagmires stiffen under the ever-strengthening sun, tennis players will pop out in the College like crocuses.

And local country-club greens are going to be green again, and the recent mobs of skiers will metamorphize into knickered golfers, for it is the season when "every clod feels a stir of might, an instinct within it that reaches and towers, groping blindly above for light."

Yet winter sports still have a last lap to go. There will be swimming in the Blockhouse this weekend, basketball at the Arena, and hockey a little over 100 miles to the southwest.