Puritans Clean Up in Mat Tourney

Kirkland Is Second; Thayer Hall Wins Yard Championship

Winthrop, which was assured of a tenpoint lead after the first two houts, west on to win the House wrestling championship last night with 19 points to Kirkland's 16, All four men in the 128 and 136-pound classes were Puritans. Thayer's 13 points were enough to cop the freshman crown.

Adams trailed the two leaders in the House competition with 13 points while Hollis and Weld trailed Thayer with 11 and ten points respectively.

Davis Decision Bender

The highlight of the tournament was the final heavyweight fight between Chief Bender (Kirkland) and Will Davis (Lowell), both varsity football tackles last fall. Davis won a 3 to 0 decision, after the played-out Bender had staged a series of crawls to the edge of the mat.

Jim Westfall, of Dunster, and Sam Clapp, Eliot, waged a spectacular battle, Westfall pinning his opponent with a back-bar arm one second before the end of the match.

Thayer's John Cuevas showed the most class in a group of freshman wrestlers who had seldom competed before. He exhibited several holds before pinning Chris Martin, also of Thayer, in the 136-pound fight.

The 175-pound class produced a draw between Dave Bird and Andy Lewis, both of Kirkland. Both employed several punishing holds but neither was able to hold his advantage and no points were scored.

Dolph Samborski, director of intramurals who conducted the tournament, dubbed freshmen 155-pounder Tom Johnson, 175-pounder Bill Leeds, and 191-pounder George Sommaripa "uncrowned champions," since no opposition could be located for them.

Brevick, Richardson Win

In other House matches, Conrad Brevick, Winthrop 128-pounder, pinned teammate Armand Fabella in the second period. In the 136-pound class, varsity wrestling manager Moe Richardson (Winthrop) decisioned Dave Shapiro, who wrestled at 145 in the Columbia match. The score was 6 to 1.

At 155, Pete Bierre (Leverett), decisioned Bill Currier (Adams), 7 to 0. At 165, Pete McWilliams (Leverett) pinned Jack White (Adams) with a reverse nelson four seconds before the end of the first period.

Leverett finished fourth in House competition with eight points, Lowell and Dunster tied for fifth with five each, and Eliot was sixth with three. Matthews and Wigglesworth tied for fourth and Holworthy and Dudley tied for fifth in the freshman loop.