Lowell 5 Beats Yale Champs, 39-38

Goldsmith Stands Out As Branford Forces Game into Overtime

Lowell's champion basketball team scored three overtime points to edge by Yale's Branford College 39 to 38 in New Haven Saturday.

The score was 18 up at half-time, but then Branford seized control of the backboards to bring the count to 31 to 25 at the end of the third quarter. In the last quarter, Lowell's John Goldsmith came through with two Bellboy specialties, fast break baskets.

The Bellboy spurt, climaxed by Mike Post' foul shot, brought the score to 36 all at the end of the regular game. Two foul shots by Goldsmith and one by John Altrocchi finally gave Lowell the lead in the overtime period, and the Bellboys successfully froze the ball in the last minute and a half.

Goldsmith was high scorer for Lowell with 14 points, while Altrocchi and Wally Coulson followed with 12 and six respectively. George Pratt was top man for the losers with 13 points.

Lowell Swimmers Lose

Meanwhile, in the indoor Athletic Building pool, Yale's Davenport College defeated the Lowell swimmers, 27 to 21.

Although the visitors took the medley, Paul Killoran won both the 50 and 100 yard freestyle, and Dave Ayars took the 50-yard breaststroke to give Lowell a 21 to 20 lead with only the 200-yard relay.

But the Elis captured the last event with some previously concealed freestyle talent, beating out a strong Bellboy four some of Killoran, Dave Poskanzer, Al Weatherhead, and Pem Hart.

Other individual scorers were Hart, who took thirds in the 100-yard freestyle and 50-yard backstroke, Weatherhead, who was third in the 50-yard freestyle, and Juan Maegli, who took third in the 50-yard breaststroke.

Bellboy Squash Team Bows

In the last intramural playoff with Yale Saturday, the Calhoun College squash team defeated Lowell, 4 to 1, in New Haven. Number one man Bill Lawrence, the only Bellboy to win his match, defeated Dick Beach, 3-love.

The results of the other individual matches were: Ross Hoy (Calhoun) 3, Jim Richardson (Lowell) love; Townie Scudder (Calhoun) 3, Ted Chalkley (Lowell) 1; Arnie Cogswell (Calhoun) 3; Charlie Basset (Lowell) 2; Ted Howe (Calhoun) 3, Jim Wright (Lowell) love.

Bunnies Win Off-Record Tilt

Just for the fun of it, the cellar-dwelling Leverett quintet went to New Haven to play Timothy Dwight Colloge, an average Yale intramural team, and won easily, 39 to 26.

The Bunnies played better than usual and everybody on the squad scored in a game filled with spectacular shots. Jim Ross was high man for Leverett with 13 points.

The House volley ballers continue their regular season today with Adams playing Eliot and Leverett playing Kirkland.