Highlights of College's Fun Given Cadets

Students at Amherst, a small vegetation-covered College in the area of Smith, have been jolted slightly in their life of gentlemanly ease.

The February 4 issue of the West Point "Pointer," published for the inmates of a Southern military college an article about their school, briefing isolated cadets on the life of typical "Joe College--'49."

The "Pointer" maps in a "serious study," terrain of undergraduate life at a "typical college," noting that morale at the civilian institution remains high, but that "the atmosphere is much loss formal." The cadet corps, which fancies one-inch haircuts tapering to a fuzz at the rear of the head, is also informed that many Amherst men also appear in crew cuts.

Among the more startling revelations to the gray-uniformed cadets, who generally spend winter week-end dates playing ping-pong in the weapons room or marching in close order before their shivering girls, was the fact that Amherst fraternities are "the scenes of milk punch parties and dancing." Repressed "Pointers" were also told that "Venturesome couples drift upstairs to get a little lovin'."

Amherst reaction to the article has been mixed. Fun-loving students of the progressive college are pleased to see that their pleasant life has been selected as a model for briefing cadets on the vagaries of the outside world. But local fraternities, who have found that visiting cadets adapt to Amherst's casual college life with incredible rapidity, are even now wondering if the article may touch off a march of joy-bent gray legions through the quiet Massachusetts hills.