Verven, Baumann Take $50 Awards in Boylston Contest

Nicholas Verven '51 and J. David Baumann '51 carried off the two first prizes of $50 each in the finals of the Boylston Speaking Contest held in Paine Hall last night. Verven gave the Allocution by Pope Plus XII to the Consistory of Cardinals on the arrest of Josef Cardinal Mindszenty, and Baumann recited Ulysses' speech on order, from Shakespeare's "Troilus and Crossida."

The three second prizes, of $25 cach, went to Robert L. Fischelis '49 for his presentation of "Flammonde" by E. A. Robinson; Justin S. Colin '45, who gave a selection from John dos Passos entitled "Camera-eye No. 50"; and William G. Becker '51, who recited Abraham Lincoln's Second Inaugural Address.

The ten candidates for the awards were judged by a three-man committee, composed of Mark deWolfe '37, professor of Law, Edward A. Weeks '22, editor of the Atlantic Mouthly, and David T. W. Mellerd '21, Charles Townsend Copeland '82, Boylston Professor of Rhetoric and Oratory, Emeritus, was honorary judge.

Introductions of the speakers were made by William J. Richard, Jr. '49, newly-elected First Marshal of the class of 1949, who presided over the entire meeting.

The other five speakers were David F. Wheeler '47, who recited three poems of William Butler Yeats; Albert Feldman '48, who gave James Russell Lowell's Oration on the 250th Anniversary of Harvard; James B. Hompe '50, who delivered an address by Samuel Adams on American Independence; David S. Nicholl '45, who recited Browning's "Andreadel Sarto"; and John J. Trudon III '51, who gave Winston Churchill's address to the French people of October 21, 1940.

A small audience received the speeches with enthusiam and gave generous applause to the five winners.