NSA Asks Federal Scholarships For 300,000 Students

The National Student Association has urged Congress to enact legislation which would provide for about 300,000 federally financed scholarships for college students in a civilian "G.I. Bill."

700,000 students represented in NSA through 289 colleges and universities were called upon to support the proposed program and to exert pressure for its adoption in Washington.

"We have come a long way since the days when college was an experiment reserved for the specially gifted or the financially able," the NSA National Executive Committee wrote in a report to the chairmen of the Senate and House committees considering educational legislation.

No Economic Borders

Implimentation of the NSA proposals would "further remove the economic barriers to education and enable our most competent and gifted youth to obtain for themselves and for society the maximum benefits to be gained from higher education," the report continued.

In sighting the urgent need for a program of government scholarships, the report pointed out to the ten percent increase in general college tuition expected for the coming year. Since 1939, tuition has risen an average of 28 percent, the report added.

Three-quarters of the nation's 17-18 year-olds are not enrolled in colleges, the report continued. At least half of this group cannot possibly afford a college education for financial reasons, and the proposed program would aid worthy students whose families' incomes are about $3000 or less a year.

As enrollment of veterans declines, federal appropriations under the present G.I. Bill might gradually be diverted to support non-vet students of ability and need, the report suggested.