ROTC Mock Courtmartial Tries Trainee for Thievery

Robert L. Pratt '51, an ROTC student, will face a court-martial Friday to be tried for the theft of an army pistol from his instructor, Captain Paul J. Curtin, assistant professor of Military Science and Tactics.

Captain Curtin saw to it that the alloged criminal acts took place, but whether Pratt is the miscreant, or whether a crime was committed at all, is secret. The court will decide the question. The witnesses are authentic and will testify only to what they actually saw.

Deadly Serious

It's lucky for Pratt that ROTC students aren't subject to military law, because the 16 members of his unit are set to make the mock trial grimly realistic.

As part of their study of Army justice, the military sophomores have already taken the preliminary steps in arranging for the trial, closely imitating Army procedure. Formal charges were preferred against Pratt yesterday.

The court will meet at 1:30 p.m. Friday in Carpenter Hall D, next to Briggs Cage. Civilians will be permitted to watch the proceedings.

Just to make sure that the trial is conducted according to Hoyle, Captain William L. Whalon of the Judge Advocate General's Corps and the 1st Service Command is slated to act as "law member" of the court.

Accuser Also President

Roland J. Gibson '51 is supposed to be president of the tribunal, but his right to serve may be challenged, since he is also the "accuser." If he is eliminated, Lee D. Cunningham '51 will take over the presidency from him.

F. van Wyck Mason II '51 will serve as defense counsel, and H. Richard Uviller '51 will be prosecutor.

The officials of the court will be in uniform and will wear pistol belts. Army tradition dictates that the detail of courtmartial must be armed, and before the war members of military courts were sabers. Later the sabers gave way to pistols, which in turn were succeeded by pistol belts.