WHRV Cables Now Stretch To Grad Halls

Perkins, Conant, Andover Get College Music; Conant Home Also Linked to Local Station

Graduate students in Perkins, Conant, and Andover Halls tuned in on WHRV broadcasts yesterday for the first time in the Network's history.

The extension of WHRV facilities was originally requested by the Student Council of the graduate school, which has consented to pay the major portion of the cost of the operation.

Half Mile of Cable

Network men and members of the maintenance department had to lay over a half mile of cable from Weld Hall to Conant through ducts and steam tunnels to bring the three dorms within range of WHRV.

The radio station's expansion program during the last six months has included the replacing of old cables to Dunster House, Eliot House, Standish Hall, Kirkland House, and the north end of the Yard. The central transmitter, originally located in Winthrop House, has been moved to Dudley Hall to provide stronger reception all over the College.

"Epic Operation"

The moving of the transmitter was a "truly epic operation," according to D. Benton Minnich '51, Network wire chief. Since only a steam trench connects Claverly to Apley Hall, it was not possible to lay the tape by hand through this stretch as is done in steam tunnels. Hence a pipe had to be jammed through the trench, and the tape forced through the pipe.

To enable two music loving architects who work all night in Robinson and Hunt Halls to hear the Network, the station recently extended reception to those two buildings. At the same time President Conant's house was hooked up. WHRV reports that Mrs. Conant has already sent for a program schedule.