The Playgoer

At the Rindge Tech Auditorium

By Charles W. Balley

"Billy Budd" is built around an abstract moral theme and as such it differs greatly from the average Broadway plot-dominated production. The average American audience considers "Billy Budd" hard work. Hence its mixed reception on Broadway. The backers are counting on the intelligentsia, among whom the Brattle playgoers like to consider themselves, for the appreciation and financial support the production needs. After Tuesday's opening, both of these necessities seemed assured.

The plot itself is simple. It concerns a clash between Billy Budd, an impressed sailor in the frigate days of the British navy who represents extreme good, and evil John Claggart, master at arms. Billy seeks the friendship of the master of arms, and Claggart seeks Billy's destruction. Between them stands Captain Edward Vere, who, alone of the three can recognize both good and evil. When Billy hits and accidentally kills Claggart, it is Vere who must judge him. Billy has broken "the compromise between good and evil," and order must be restored. Law triumphs over justice and the Captain can only ask Billy to pray for those who must decide his fate. Billy prevents the complete triumphing of evil over good by shouting "God Bless Captain Vere" just before he is to hang by the Captain's judgment.

The play, as presented by the Brattle cast, is fairly well performed. There are, however, a few blemishes. The first act is extremely slow in places not due to the production but to the play itself. John Lasell, playing the part of a junior lieutenant, muffed a few key lines due to opening-night jitters, and the sound effects at the close of the first act produce a few guffaws. However, several brilliant performances, coupled with adequate character portrayals by other members of the cast make the above shortcomings insignificant. Jerry Kilty, as Captain Vere, does an outstanding job, while John Kerr and Peter Temple, with the symbolic and less concrete roles, do more than competent jobs. Paul Sparer, Robert Fletcher, Richard Kilbride, and Ed Finnegan are the outstanding performers among the supporting cast.

"Billy Budd" is a play worth seeing. It is thoughtful, intelligent, concerned with a real problem. Undoubtedly it is and will be a hit with the Cambridge audience.