Spencer Memorial Fund

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

As a student who was privileged last year to take Professor Theodors Spencer's course in Shakespeare. I would like to add a word of endorsement to the action of the Committee of Faculty Members who have begun raising money for the Theodore Spencer Memorial Fund.

Professor Spencer's course, and his interpretation of the Shakespearean drama were a rare and happy combination of academic interest and penetrating insight into the best of Shakespeare. The course for me proved a rewarding experience and an inspiration in appreciation. Much of this was due to Professor Spencer's own keen perception, his with, and his understanding of Shakespeare, and his brilliant capacity for imparting his vast knowledge to his students.

Mr. Albert Marre, 1G, has correctly pointed out that the income from the opening night of "The Tempest" is a "Peculiarly fitting" medium for inaugurating the lectureship fund in memory of Professor Spencer. Unfortunately, the small donation I am able to send toward this effort is not in proportion to the wealth of pleasure I derived from Professor Spencer's course. I feel certain that other students who took the course will agree that such a memorial provides for us the best opportunity of expressing out deep appreciation of the rate gifts Professor Spencer gave us. Henry S. Williams, '49