Strongest Yale Lacrosse Team in Decade Rides Over Varsity, 14-5

Two first-year lacrosse coaches met on the Business School Field Saturday afternoon. The new rivalry began inauspiciously for Harvard and Bruce Munro as Bill Harkness Yale team took a runaway victory, 14 to 5.

The Yale team, considered the best in recent Eli history jumped to a quick lead of three goals in the first ten minutes of the game. But the Crimson fought back with some of its best play of the season to tie up the game, 3 to 3.

All three goals of the resurgence were scored by midfielders, two on long, un-assisted shots, which testifies to the efficiency of the Yale close defense.

After this, the varsity lapsed back into sloppy play and Yale built up a commanding lead. The last Crimson goals were scored after it was too late.

Yale had only six assists, scoring an immoderate number of goals on free, bouncing balls in front of the Harvard cage. The Varsity, on the other hand, was kept buzzing around the outside of the defense periphery and scored four out of five points on long shots.

The game was not pallid; Yale received 13 penalties six for one burly defenseman Lawrason Sayre, and Harvard got nine. The final game left the varsity with an exactly even 6 to 6 record. But all but one of the wins were foregone conclusions, while the team to beat--Yale, Dartmouth, Williams--were not beaten, But wait till next year, Bill Harkness.

Harvard scoring: Dick Bezanson, Paul Davidson, Will Davis, Hans Estin, Dave Mauran.