Oxford's Bannister May Be Top Man in Monday's Meet

By Steve Cady

Roger Bannister, best young British miler since Jack Lovelock, is expected to run the fastest American mile of the season in Monday's 15th Oxford-Cambridge-Harvard-Yale track meet at the Stadium. The slim Oxford medical student did 4:11.1 at Princeton Saturday for one of the four first places the Englishmen picked up in losing to Princeton-Cornell, 9-4. The only faster mile which has been run in the United States this spring was a 4:10.1 by Wisconsin's Don Gehrmann in the Kansas Relays.

Arrive Here Friday

Bannister, who arrives here Friday from New Haven along with 21 teammates, will probably have to go under 4:10 to beat Yale's George Wade. Wade, Vic Frank and Jim Fuchs will compete in the National Intercollegiates on the Coast Friday and Saturday but will fly back in time for Monday's meet.

Starting at 5 p.m., the 13-event meet is scheduled to be run off in an hour and a half. This is the first post-war renewal of the traditional series, which began in 1899. Each team has won seven times, with Oxford-Cambridge taking the last three meets, in 1935, 1937, and 1939.

On the basis of its showing Saturday at Princeton, the British team figures to make Monday's meet close. Oxford-Cambridge took the 100, 220, mile and two-mile against Princeton-Cornell, and showed well in the broad jump, 440, and 880.

May Break Records

At least three meet records will be jeopardized Monday in the Stadium. Bannister and Wade will be shooting for the 4:12.6 mile mark Jack Lovelock established in 1933; Jim Fuchs seems sure to set a new record in the 16-pound shot; and George Appel may break the pole vault record.

Perhaps the greatest performance in the series was Edwin Gourdin's world record-breaking broad jump of 25 feet, 3 inches at the Stadium in 1921. Gourdin, a Harvard senior, thus became the first man in history to jump 25 feet. That mark still stands as the meet and Harvard record.