Crimson Meets Yale in Class Day Batt Game

Essayan to Replace Injured Crosby Behind Plate; Turner Will Pitch

The Harvard varsity baseball team plays Yale on Soldiers Field at 3:30 p.m. today.

There are no Eastern Intercollegiate titles riding on the outcome of the contest--Yale took care of that when it eliminated the Crimson from title contention Monday down at New Haven. Instead there will merely be half a century of Class Day baseball tradition to egg the players on, and the largest and most partisan crowed of the year installed in the venerable stands.

Some 475 '24 graduates and their families spearhead the giant Harvard delegation of fans along with the spryer members of 1899 and the soberer of the 1939 crowd. The male members of this throng will march behind the band to the filed shortly before game time, while mothers and daughters will struggle to the diamond as best they can.

Coach Stuffy McInnis' pitching choice for the contest will be lefthander Barry Turner, who last pitched Saturday against Tufts, and ultimately was the winning pitcher. The erratic Turner will be given bullpen support by fireballer Ralph Hymans and Crimson mound ace Ira Godin.

The game will probably labor under a considerable handicap. In former years ebullient observers have wandered into the outfield in search of autographs and dandelions and have often slowed up the game. Needless to say, however, these fans are not ousted because you just don't eject a Harvard man.

A possible surprise Crimson starter will be Myles Huntington, last year's regular second baseman, who was injured in the third Dartmouth hockey game and spent the early part of the baseball season waiting for a broken shoulder to mend.

McInnis has taken a leaf from Billy Southworth's book when it comes to picking his starting outfield. If the Yale coaching brains decide to pitch a right hander against the Crimson. McInnis will probably put lefthanded hitters Charley Roche and Ed Foynes on either side of centerfielder Hal Moffie.

If a Yale lefthander appears on the mound in the bottom half of the first inning, McInnis will be using right handed hitters John Caulfield in left field and Herbie Neal in right.

The rest of the Crimson starting nine will find Captain Walt Coulson at first base, Mort Dunn at shortstop, and three year veteran Ernie Mannine at third base.

Essayan for Crosby

Armie Essayan will be the starting catcher, filling in for first string receiver Cliff Crosby who was injured in the New Haven contest. Essayan is not the defensive bulwark that was Crosby and Eli base runners three times stole second base on him. Nevertheless, he atoned for this weakness at New Haven by leading the team in hitting with three for four.