Former Professor Elton Mayo Died in England September 1

Elton Mayo, Professor Emeritus of Industrial Research who retired from the faculty in 1947, died in England September 1. At the time of his death, professor Mayo was residing at his home in Pelesden-Lacy, Surrey. He was 68 years old.

Born in Adelaide, Australia, Professor Mayo was graduated in 1899 from Adelaide University, receiving a Master of Arts degree there in 1917. In 1942, he received an honorary degree of Master of Arts from Harvard.

Previous to joining the faculty of the Graduate School of Business Administration in 1926, Professor Mayo was an associate in research at the University of Pennsylvania and a professor at Queens-land University, Australia.

The author of "Democracy and Freedom," two editions of "The Human Problems of an Industrial Civilization," and "The Social Problems of an Industrial Civilization," Professor Mayo's books were widely used in many College and University courses. They comprised one of the first comprehensive studies ever undertaken to determine the effects of a highly industrial society on the individual and groups. Most famous of Professor Mayo's surveys is his treatise on the Western Electric Company's experiments on worker efficiency and phychology in specialized assembly line tasks. This book is a standard text in Social Relations 1b.

A Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, Professor Mayo also was Roby Fletcher prizeman of Adelaide and a Davis Murray research scholar.

Surviving are his widow, Mrs. Dorothy McConnel Mayo, and two daughters, Mrs. Walter Goetz and Mrs. Guy Vincent, all of England.