Harvard Clubs Elect Robinson New Leader at San Francisco Gathering

Three-day Session Mixes Tour, Conant, Wine-sampling, with Economic Symposium, Talks

Over 600 graduates of the University and their immediate relatives arrived in California September 9 a century late. It was the 1949 meeting of the Associated Harvard Clubs, not gold, and it brought them to San Francisco, not Sutter's Mill.

Dwight P. Robinson, Jr. '20 was elected president of the Clubs for the year 1949-50 to succeed William M. Akin '19; Archer O'Reilly, Jr. '29 was reelected secretary, and H. S. Payson Rowe '23 was chosen treasurer to succeed Robinson.

The three-day week-end session packed in a luncheon featuring President Conant, a meeting of the officers of the AHC, a tour of San Francisco, a meeting of the Business School Alumni, a symposium on America's economic future, and a special combination sight-seeing and thirst-slaking excursion through the wine-rich Napa Valley.

President Conant at the welcoming luncheon discussed the teaching of science and said that the present College curriculum requires a course on the history of science to orient students not concentrating in the area of the natural sciences.

At the economic symposium, "Profit and Loss Economy and the Welfare State," a three-man panel predicted no violent change in the current of American history within the next 15 years.