Bender Assures Council 'Gentleman's' Pact Good

Dean Explains That Expansion Of Joint Instruction Policy Was Work of Faculty Group

Dean Bender yesterday told Student Council officers that the "gentleman's agreement" between his office and the Council is still in force, despite the fact that the Council was not consulted about Tuesday's Faculty resolution on joint instruction.

Edward F. Burke '50, Council President, and Roy M. Goodman '51, treasurer, reported last night that Bender considered Council action unnecessary because the Faculty only proposed extending to freshmen courses the joint instruction voted for several years ago.

Council Not Consulted

The Council officers had stated Wednesday that the Dean's failure to consult them in advance of the Faculty meeting violated the agreement which provides that "no important matters of educational policy will be enacted without first consulting the Council."

Bender also said yesterday that the present agreement concerns only the Dean's Office and that if the Council wants to have similar relations with the Faculty's Educational Policies Committee, it must take up the matter with that group.

Plan Agreement Review

The scope of the agreement will be reviewed by a student committee now studying the Councils role in the College, Burke said. The group will try to define what constitutes the "important matters" referred to in the agreement.

Council members pointed out yesterday that the agreement could not be observed when the original war-time joint instruction decision was made, because the Council was not operating at the time.