Basketball Team Stops Dartmouth

Smith, Hickey Exhibit Improvement in 74-56 First Ivy League Win

By Peter B. Taub

The varsity basketball team had three men score over 15 points apiece for the first time this season and defeated Dartmouth in the Garden Saturday night for its first Ivy League victory. The score was 74 to 56.

Tonight in the Blockhouse, Harvard faces Brown in a non-League game starting at 8.45 p.m.

The Crimson jumped off to a 6-0 lead against Dartmouth. Then the Indians took a one-point lead after four minutes, were unable to score from the field for the next eight, and saw Harvard build up a 42-20 bulge just before the half ended with the winners in the van by 42-25.

The Big Green attack was woefully slow getting started, and as a result Harvard was able to run up a commanding lead before the Indians began to hit. Once they did, they moved to within seven points of the leaders midway through the second half but Harvard held a 13-point advantage with five minutes to go and, although they cut this down to ten, the Dartmouths could not close the gap.

Hickey Shines

Dartmouth opened with a zone defense which was rendered ineffective by the outside set shooting of Bill Hickey, who connected on four tries in the first half. The Crimson lost some of its spark when he fouled out four minutes after the start of the second half. Harvard has shown that it needs someone who can hold the team together and give it a scoring punch; Hickey, who also did some nice playmaking, may be this man.

The work of Gerry Murphy, Ed Smith, and, as usual, John Rockwell, was also commendable. Rockwell got most of his points in the first half and Smith most of his points in the first half and Smith most of his in the second, while Murphy's markers were pretty evenly distributed. Smith, especially, looked as if he is beginning to realize his potentialities--both offensive and defensive.

New Defense

Norman Shepard had his men using a new defensive strategy there was no switching men on the outside, only when an Indian drove through the keyhole for a layup. This stopped the visitors until they got hot in the second half.

At times, Harvard looked very good; other times it was only fair. Nevertheless, it was encouraging to whip a League toe by almost 20 points.

Brown, paced by Fred Kozak and Frank Mahoney, has beaten MIT twice, Connecticut, Worcester Poly, Arnold, and Rochester, and lost to Syracuse, St. Bonaventure, Cornell, Army, and Rhode Island State.

The summaries: HARVARD (74)   G  F  P Rockwell, lf  7  2  16 Stevenson  0  2  2 Crosby, rf  2  1  5 Gabler  1  0  2 Smith, c  9  1  19 Prior  0  1  1 Hickey, rg  4  0  8 Cohodes  0  0  0 Bramhall  1  2  4 Murphy, lg  6  5  17 F. Lionette  0  0  0 Totals  30  14  74