Squash Team Climaxes Busy Weekend with Amherst Win

The varsity squash team topped off a busy weekend Saturday afternoon when it trounced a highly rated Amherst team, 8 to 1, in a match played at the Hemenway gym.

In other games over the weekend the freshmen took the other half of the Amherst twin bill by another 8 to 1 score; the varsity C team defeated the Medical School, 4 to 1; and the freshman D team won a Metropolitan League game with the Maugus Club, 4 to 1.

Saturday was the first time this season the varsity was at full strength and the return of Henry Foster, Wistar Wood, Jim Mugaseth, and George Plimpton provided the spark the team needed.

Amherst, always strong, was to be a test to the varsity and Saturday's impressive showing provides a new measure of the team. Hugh Foster, playing number one, turned in the outstanding effort of the day as he turned back Ted Smith in five games.

Foster, who has led the team all season, dropped the first two games by considerable margins and seemed destined to defeat. However, in the third game Foster came back with a 15 to 8 win. The fourth match was the crucial game. Behind by a slight margin, Foster took 11 points in a row to win, 17 to 16. The extra points broke Smith and the Crimson won the last game, 5-4.