There's the Rub

When Dean Grisweld referred so eloquently last Friday to "the rubbing together of men's minds," he may simply have been noting the thinness of the walls in the new Graduate Center. But it is more likely that he was speaking figuratively, and in that case the Dean forgot to mention one important deficiency of the Center.

The rubbing together of Law School minds may produce better grades and better lawyers, and the rubbing together of G.S.A.S. minds may produce anything from a new theory of the universe to a keener analysis of Shavian wit. But a cross-rubbing of the two is what we need most in these days of General Education.

The men who direct the Graduate Center plead accounting complications as the reason for the almost complete segregation of lawyers and arts and sciences students into separate dormitories. Perhaps a greater effort could have cleared up these complications before the opening of the Center, but they can certainly be straightened out in time for next year's redistribution of rooms.

Though there is already an opportunity for inter-school contact over the plastic food trays and modernistic armchairs of Harkness Commons, dining halls are notoriously cliquish places. It is in the corridors and the communal washrooms that minds are most likely to rub, or bump together, and it is there that they should be mixed.