HAA Drops Army, Cornell, Plans Easier '52 Schedule

Retrenchment Policy Substitutes Colgate, Washington of St. Louis

Harvard's 1952 football schedule will show a definite retreat from the ambitious slates of the previous four years. Colgate and Washington University (St. Louis) will replace Army and Cornell, the CRIMSON learned yesterday.

Next year's varsity will face the same eight teams as this year, with the probable addition of a comparatively easy opener.

In 1952, the Crimson will play Brown, Dartmouth, Princeton, and Yale--the Colgate and Washington, and two or three other schools, with Colombia, Holy Cross, and New Hampshire as possible opponents.

Same Schedule Next Year

Contractual obligations, if nothing else, require the Athletic Association to post dates for the same eight teams next year as this. If a ninth game is added, the H.A.A. will follow the lead of Yale and Princeton, which open against Connecticut and Williams, respectively.

The retrenchment in 1952 is a direct result of pressure from President Conant and Provost Buck, who last spring forced the cancellation of this year's Stanford game and directed the Committees on the Regulation on Athletic Sports not to reschedule Army or Cornell after current contracts with those two schools expire next year.

Bucknell Offer Withdrawn

The H.A.A. then informed Washington, Colgate, and Bucknell that the College would play them in two years. During the summer the offer to Bucknell was varsity had already rearranged its schedule to accommodate the Crimson.

Neither Washington nor Colgate has played Harvard before, although Colgate, a university of about 1,300 in Hamilton, New York, has met many Ivy League teams in the past. After two poor seasons, the Red Raiders have come back this year and beaten Western Reserve and Holy Cross after an opening game loss to Army.

Washington Poor This Year

Colgate will play Brown, Princeton, and Cornell on successive Saturdays, starting this weekend.

Washington had a 9-1 record in 1942 and 7-2 last year, but so far this season the Bears have lost to Western Reserve, Western Michigan, Memphis State, and Missouri School of Mines. They have beaten Illinois Wesleyan.