Combined Charities Surpass 1949 Total by Five Percent

Money collected in this year's Combined Charities Drive has surpassed the amount for 1949, Chairman Robert P. Hyde '51 announced yesterday. The charities had obtained $18,439 by Wednesday, five percent more than the amount they received last year after the Student Council allocation had been subtracted. This year the council held a separate drive.

Despite the fact that students gave money to the council in another drive earlier this year, two Houses donated more money to the Combined Charities this year than they did last. In 1950 Adams turned over $1,645, $233 more than last year. Lowell gave $2,347 this year, as opposed to $2,188 last.

Eliot Slips

The House that slipped the most behind its total for 1949 was Eliot, which raised $1,900 this year, $795 less than before. Leverett fell from $1,432 to $1,151, and Kirkland from $1,777 to $1,449.

Winthrop gave $1,556 in 1950, $268 less than last year's $1,824. Dunster dropped only slightly, falling from $1,768 to $1,611. The outside dormitories gained in money collected, taking in $1,196 compared to $1,014 for 1949. The freshman total of $5,161 was considerably less tran 1949's $6,447.

Percentage breakdowns of the total into various charities have not yet been completed, Hyde said, but will be ready next week.

The Combined Charities Drive is the one solicitation of students during the year. It is operated under the Student Council, although this year the group tried to break away.