Professors See Election Triumph for Democrats

Even Republicans Are Pessimistic on GOP

Faculty members, including Republicans, agreed last night that the Democrats will retain control of Congress in Tuesday's election. Almost every teacher, however, admitted that there would be G.O.P. gains.

Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr., '38, associate professor of History, predicted that the election results would "be a great Democratic victory."

"Since the Republicans, will pick up only 12 to 15 seats in the House and will probably not gain anything in the Sonate," Schlesinger said, "they will fall far short of what he opposition party should pick up in an off year."

Bundy Optimistic for G.O.P.

The most optimistic Republican statement came from McGeorge Bundy, visiting lecturer in Government, who thought the G.O.P. "might have a chance to win the House." Republicans, like Sumner Slichter, Lamont University Professor, and Robert Amory, Jr., '36, professor of Law, gave no chance at all for the G.O.P.

Jerome S. Bruner, associate professor of Social Psychology, said that "Taft may win by a nose in Ohio but the important thing there is the disciplined work of labor. They have learned to avoid splinter groups and oppose effectively men with views they dislike."

Dean Mason of the School of Public Administration was "worried, by the effect of union labor, since it represented not the people but a well-organized pressure group."

Beer Deplores Red Smear Campaigns

"The victory of men who used "McCarthy techniques' could be the most disturbing result of this election," said Samuel H. Beer, associate professor of Government. "The red smear has appeared in the California, Illinois, Pennsylvania and even the Ohio and Maryland campaigns.

"It would be regrettable if the results in these states encouraged more people to use these technique," Beer concluded.