Hockey Team Shuts Out Tufts, 5 to 0, at Garden

By Douglas M. Fouquet

Crimson skaters had little trouble shutting out Tufts, 5 to 0, at the Garden last night, but only occasionally did Cooney Welland's varsity flash on brilliant hockey.

Harvard scored but one goal in each of the first two periods, and it was only in the final period that the Crimson assumed real control of the game. Until that time the Jumbo defense had limited the varsity to just 16 shots at goalie Norm Hansen.

The top man for the Crimson probably was goalie Brad Richardson, who earned himself a shutout in his first varsity appearance. He only had to make 16 saves during the entire game, however, and this was to the credit of fine defensive play by Dusty Burke and Billy Blies.

Offensively, Nat Harris led the Crimson with two goals, both scored during the first two periods. After 18 minutes of no hits, no runs, and no errors by anyone in the first period, Harris climaxed a scrappy scrimmage to the left of the Tufts cage with a goal at 18:21 from 15 feet out.

Harris' second goal, at 12:40 of the second period, was very nicely centered by Bob DiBlasio. DiBlasio, skating through the Jumbo defense, passed perfectly to Harris, who was waiting in the goal mouth.

Tufts' last stand--and it was nicely made--came at the very start of the third period, when the Jumbos had two men in the penalty box and still kept the varsity from scoring. But shortly thereafter the men from Medford wilted for good.

At 5:01 defenseman Jim Wykoff and forward Hal Marshall gave the Crimson its third goal. Wykoff shot from just inside the blue line, and since Marshall's stick deflected the shot, Marshall got credit for the goal and Wykoff, the assist.

The two final goals both came in break-through situations. Joe Kittredge skated in on the right side of the cage, lifting the puck past goalie Hansen at 12:07. Then at 16:40 Amory Hubbard skated in on Hansen, and since he was not wholly clear of one Jumbo defenseman, he dropped a beautiful pass behind him to Walt Greeley, who made the score.

A crowd of about 1,500 watched the game, and in the nightcap, Boston College whipped Brown, 5 to 1. HARVARD (5)  TUFTS (0) Richardson  g  Hansen Burke  ld  Davis Carman  rd  Gerbis Preston  lw  Tenney Kittredge  c  Merrow Marshall  rw  Doub

Scoring: First period--Harris (White) 18:21 (H). Second period--Harris (DiBlasio) 12:40 (H). Third period--Marshall (Wykoff) 5:01 (H); Kittredge (DiBlasio) 12:07 (H); Greeley (Hubbard, Anderson) 16:40 (H).