Council Considers 6 Rules Changes

Committee Requests Approval of More Liberal Attitude

The Student Council's committee on rules relating to undergraduate organizations will recommend six changes in the Administration's recently released rules at tonight's weekly council meeting.

All the committee's amendments are designed to make the Administration's set of rules less restrictive. The changes are:

1. Radcliffe students may become members of Harvard organizations. Despite Radcliffe's current rule forbidding its girls to join Harvard groups, the committee asserts, the University should leave the possibility of Radcliffe memberships open.

2. The rule prohibiting University students or organizations from appearing on radio or television programs should be amended to read that they may do so with special permission of the Dean's Office. Such a qualification had been approved by the Faculty Committee on Undergraduate Activities, the Council explained, but the Corporation has insisted that the present blanket ruling remained unchanged.

3. The rule forbidding the attendance of outside groups at indoor or outdoor meetings of University organizations should be amended so as not to include Radcliffe groups.

4. The rule prohibiting meetings in the Yard should be scrapped entirely on the grounds that it is better that large groups of students get in trouble with University police rather than Cambridge police, if trouble breaks out at outdoor gatherings.

5. The rule regarding paid admissions should be amended to permit admissions fees so long as they do not jeopardize the University's tax exempt status.

6. The rule relating to publications should be stricken, the committee said, because it is vague and covered in other rules.

If the council approves the committee's recommendations tonight, the amended version will be passed on to the Dean's Office, which in turn must present them for the consideration of the Faculty Committee on Undergraduate activities.

The committee will also ask the Dean's Office to clarify the phrase "premises of undergraduate organizations" which appears in a ruling relating to parieal rules.