Amory Is 'Apologetic' About Racism Charge

Campaign Slur Minor, He Tells Democrats

Robert Amory, Jr. '36 told a Law School Democratic Club meeting yesterday that he regretted the charges of "racism" which he leveled at the club during the fall elections, adding that it was "unfair" to make charges against a whole group on the basis of reports against two or three members. He also told the meeting he was "apologetic" that so much has been made out of such a small part of his statements.

Club officials announced yesterday that no supporting evidence for the racism charges had been uncovered. The state-followed a meeting between Amory an Democratic Club officials earlier this week.

Just after election, Amory charged the Democratic Club with "un-American and prejudicial electioneering and appealing to racism" in the door-to-door support of Democratic candidate Walter J. Sullivan against incumbent Republican A. John Serino. The post at stake was that state representative from the Cambridge Second Middlesex District.

At yesterday's meeting in Langdell South, Amory stuck to the rest of his original charges in which he criticized out-of-state club members for not having investigated the campaign issues. The club backed for the legislature Democratic opponents of Plan E which would give Cambridge a city manager and proportional representation.

Many Voted for Republicans

He said that if the club had checked, with leading Democrats inside and out-side of the University they would have found that many of the men were voting for the Republican supporters of Plan E.

George R. Ruditz 3L, replying for the club, said that the group had met before the election with one of the two winning candiates it supported, Francis, J. Good, and other local citizens including attorney Lawrence F. Feloney. Feloney has been active in the Cambridge Civic Association, a group which supports Plan E.

The club members stressed that there were other issues in the election besides Plan E. Club members, who were also backing Dever, said that they were interested in getting an entire program through the legislature.

Amory said that in meetings before the election with Law School Republicans he had urged them to avoid supporting several Republicans.