Council Studies Bids For Places in Activities Center

All College organizations except final clubs today received questionnaires from the Student Council asking them whether they need space and under what conditions they would use space at the newly donated Activities Center at 54 Dunster Street.

About 20 of the College's 66 organizations will be accommodated on the two floors above the Financial Aid Center. A large, third floor room with a capacity for 60 people will probably become available to all organizations for conferences.

Renovations Needed

The questionnaire inquires how much the organizations would pay for certain required renovations in the Center.

Two architectural advisors to the Council, William H. Claflin '50 and Robert L. Hart '50, reported that several walls must be torn down to give all rooms access to halls. Also, they said, some partitions must be set up to make a suite of four rooms into separate offices, paint and floor jobs are necessary in the halls, and new lighting is necessary in several places.

The University maintenance department will probably finance some of the alterations, but it has not committed itself with figures yet. Once organizations move into 54 Dunster, the University will provide heat, light, and janitor service.

In Good Shape

The several clubs will be responsible for their own improvements in the separate offices, but the "offices are in good shape by and large," Richard M. Sandler '52, chairman of the Council Committee on the Center, has disclosed.

The questionaire also asks if the organizations will support a common secretary for all those sharing the building, and inquires if the groups intend to admit Radcliffe members to their ranks.

Sandler's committee will decide on who gets offices in the Center. The committee's choice is subject to confirmation by the Corporation.