Council Committee Releases New Extra-Curricular Rules

Thirty-three pages of proposed regulations for undergraduate organizations went out to all College groups today.

Organizations will have a chance after spring vacation to criticize the new rules, prepared by the Student Council Committee on Extra-Curricular Activities and the Dean's Office.

The Council and a Faculty Committee on Student Affairs will then take final action on formulation of the regulations. Formerly, undergraduate activities have been governed by a "common law" made up of precedents, "policies," and written rules rather than one fixed set of regulations.

Three principal divisions in the proposed regulations deal with 1) privileges and requirements of recognized organizations, 2) organizational activities, and 3) enforcement of the rules.

The first division contains requirements for recognition, insists on exhaustive periodic reports from each group, and sets up special rules for publications. It also permits the Dean's Office and the Council to withdraw recognition of any organization after review of its report.

Section two on organizational activities sets up regulations for holding indoor and outdoor meetings, public performances by groups or their individual representatives, social functions, parietal regulations, conduct of meetings, distribution of printed matter, and business activities.

Enforcement

The Dean's Office will enforce regulations, section three of the rules (on enforcement) states, but students can appeal to higher University authorities. This division also describes what constitutes violation of rules and specifies penalties.

"In the opinion of the Committee these regulations represent a substantial improvement in the procedures heretofore followed," William D. Mulholland, Jr. '50, co-chairman of the Council Committee, said last night.