Ten O'clock Scholars

From 7:30 to 8 a.m. each House serves breakfast to a dozen men. From 9 to 9:15 a hundred others look at their watches and decide to stay in bed. And at 9:15 a few men scratch vainly at locked dining hall doors.

This schedule favors the small group of men who regularly eat early, rather than the mass of students who study late and who would prefer a 9:30 breakfast. Few of the early risers have a special claim on the dining facilities. Since the war professors have abandoned sunrise lectures; now only one English A section meets before 9 a.m. Extension of the breakfast service to 9:45 would make it easier for many students to eat the breakfasts they pay for.

Defenders of the present schedule fear that an extra half hour of sleep would induce an era of lethargy and decadence, but their practical objections are slight. Latecomers would not interfere with preparations for lunch if they regularly ate at specified tables. Dining hall authorities admit that later breakfast would add little to expense, since "the girls have to work eight hours anyway." Even a late menu of coffee and toast would save money for students who now breakfast in the Square.