Wrestlers Tackle Favored Eli Team Under Handicaps

By Peter B. Taub

Harvard has not beaten Yale in wrestling for approximately 20 years, and it does not appear that the Eli monopoly will be seriously challenged this afternoon. The Yardlings face the freshman Blues at 2 p.m. in the Blockhouse and the varsities will take over about one hour and a half later.

Coach John O'Donnell has a team which is strong in at least five of the eight weight divisions--128, 136, 155, 165, and 175--so there should be some fairly interesting matches if Harvard can rise to the occasion.

Captain Bob De Bono, Bill Anderson, Frank Manseil, George Graveson, and Brooks Naffziger are all experienced wrestlers and although they are tentatively listed at certain weights O'Donnell has a way of shifting his men around for the Harvard meet and keeping them at the new weights for the eastern intercollegiates one week later.

Use Princeton Lineups

The Crimson goes along with the same lineup that was badly beaten at Princeton (which also beat Yale) last week. It is still crippled by the absence of Al Sawyer, 145, who broke his leg in an automobile accident the week of the Princeton match. This means that Bob Abboud, who ordinarily would compete at 128, must stay up at 145 and that the comparatively inexperienced Dave Shapire must wrestle the Eli captain at 128.

Neil Hastie remains at 165 after Charlie Keith failed to make the weight this week.

The Yardlings will try to end their season with their fifth victory in six matches. Their coach, Van Brewer, has sen double duty most of this week; varsity coach Butch Jordan left for Connecticut Wednesday and just returned late yesterday afternoon.

The varsity lineups: HARVARD    YALE Kozol  121  Long Shapiro  128  De Bono (C) Smith  136  Anderson Abboud  145  Pettit Connors  155  Mansell Hastie  165  Graveson Claflin (C)  175  Naffziger Davis  Unlimited  Downey or Merriman