'53 Six Finished Fast, Downs Melrose, 6-4

After losing an early lead, the freshman hockey team had to go all out in the last period to defeat Melrose High, 6 to 1, yesterday afternoon at the Arena. The Crimson first line played very well, accounting for five of the six goals.

The Yardlings, emerging from a 9 to 2 whipping by Northeastern last week, gained a three-goal advantage in the first two periods before Melrose finally scored midway in the second period. First line center Walt Greeley got the first of his four points with a goal at 9:28 of the first period.

At 1:07 of the second period Bitsy Grant popped in the first of his three goals, unassisted, and Greeley combined with Hubbard again to score the third Crimson goal at 7:30. Melrose scored at 11:45.

In the third period Melrose threw a scare into the freshmen as they tallied twice more to tie the game up. Then Skip Johnson beat the Melrose goalie with a fast shot at 11:42, unassisted, but Melrose recovered to knot the score again at 13:45.

Bitsy Grant clinched the game for Harvard with two quick goals at 14:10 and 15:32. Greeley assisted him on both scores.

The Yardlings take the ice again today against Boston University at 4 p.m.

NATIONAL SPORTS

PROFESSIONAL HOCKEY montreal 2, Detroit 2

COLLEGE BASKETBALL Brown 54, Dartmouth 48 Tufts 72, Boston U 59

A smile in time saves nine.